EDIT 4: Quite a bit of content has been added and a few things have changed since this was first written, but this guide still serves as an excellent primer to what you will find in my mod. Definitely give it a read if you are a new player!
EDIT 3: Download the current version on the downloads page above.
Okay, the demo should be available fairly soon, so I’m going to go ahead and publish this little guide so that people know what to look for. If you’d rather discover things on your own, though, DON’T read the rest of this post, and especially DON’T read the part at the end marked spoilers. DO be aware, though, that the huge portions of the content is written in placeholder format (or is simply the word “placeholder”) because it was written to be a proof of concept for the new imprisonment gameplay mechanics. Oh, and do be aware that I’m a coder first and a writer second, so what is written might be a bit on the rough side.
How to get started: The question comes up from time to time, so I figured I’d add the answer here. To play my modified standalone version of CoC, simply download the latest build and open it in your favorite browser. Since this is just a simple .swf (Flash) file, you can run it on any operating system that has a browser with Flash support. If you’ve been playing Fenoxo’s game by downloading it, your saves will automatically show up (assuming you use the same browser to play my version of the game). If you’ve been playing Fenoxo’s game embedded in his website, you will need to use the “save file” and “load file” features to transfer your save data. Learn more about saved data for this game and flash in general at Fenoxo’s forum.
A note on saving and loading: Loading your existing CoC characters should work just fine. If you load a character from after
November 18, 2012 January 2, 2013 (the last full CoC build to be merged with my branched code) you will obviously lose any data related to new features after that point (ie, new transformation types or whatever won’t be properly represented). Similarly, saving your game via this modified version of the game is likely to lose any data related to features newer than November 18, 2012 January 2, 2013. Short version: Overwrite your existing save games at your own risk. I make no guarantee that games saved by this modified version of CoC will be compatible with any other version of CoC. Hell, I make no guarantees about the quality of the saved data, period!
Anyway, without further ado:
To find the content I’ve added to the game, go to the Bizarre Bazaar and choose “Back Alley” to get captured for the first time. If you don’t have access to the Bazaar, simply keep exploring and you will eventually encounter a suspicious encampment where you can also get captured.
- Upon capture your items and gear are taken from you. Don’t worry, though — they are returned when/if you when you escape.
- If you acquire and equip gear inside the jail you will be given the choice to keep it when you escape (right now I don’t don’t have any events in place to give you gear, but the support for it is there), but items in your inventory are simply thrown out in exchange for your pre-capture items.
- After you escape you will be given an important choice that can potentially opt you in to have a chance to be recaptured when losing fights in the outside world. The text should make this clear, but if you don’t want to be potentially recaptured, make the right choice there.
Once you are captured, you have four new stats to worry about — they can be viewed while imprisoned by mousing over the More Stats button at the top (and they will appear in the More Stats output whether you are imprisoned or not).
- Hunger is reduced by eating food. If it reaches 100 you will start fatiguing/losing willpower and will lose the ability to refuse some commands.
- Willpower is a rapidly recharging resource that you need to spend to refuse commands. It works similar to Fatigue, but your ability to regenerate it can become greatly diminished by changes to other stats.
- Esteem measures your self esteem. 50 is neutral, 1 is bad, 100 is max, and is used as a factor in many obedience related calculations (Note: this is only sloppily implemented for now, and a LOT of balancing/tweaking will be needed). It is fairly easy to gain and lose, and it is also gained and lost outside prison by winning and losing combat.
- Obedience is a slow to gain but hard to reduce measure of how conditioned you are as a slave. High values mean you have a hard time not willingly being your captor’s bitch. Also quite sloppily implemented for now, but what is there should be enough to get the idea across.
Once you are in prison, you will have sort of an alternate version of the camp menu as your new “home” space.
- Train is a menu of ways to spend your time improving your body. There’s not too much here right now, but it is there for the sake of demonstration. Eventually captors might fill this menu with actions for you to take to become a better (or worse) slave.
- Study is a menu of ways to spend your time improving your mind. Currently this is implemented as a bit of a debug menu, with options to increase and decrease esteem and obedience by 5. As with the train menu, eventually captors might fill this menu with actions as well.
- Items is the normal items menu, but depending on your current state of restraint you might not be able to use some items.
- Restraints is a menu where you can try to break free of your restraints. Probably currently a bit too hard to do so (it requires very high stats). Also, if you turn on debug mode these options become toggles to cycle yourself through the various restraint states.
- Escape is a menu of options for you to escape. Many are maybe too easy right now (assuming you aren’t restrained), but that’s probably for the best for testing purposes.
- Masturbate is similar to camp masturbate — if you only have the default option it auto fires, otherwise you get choices.
- Rest/Wait/Sleep is just as in the normal camp. In fact, it’s a bit too much like normal camp. Some work will have to be done to prevent a lot of the wait/rest/sleep events from firing when you are in prison. (I’ve blocked a few easy ones, but many more need to be prevented by an “in prison” check. Things could get especially odd right now if you have a lot of followers.)
- The prison framework features a system where additional items can be dynamically added and removed from any the existing menus. Some of the events in the proof of concept do this (one adds to the masturbate menu, a few others to the main prison menu, but the system is generic and can add to any menu).
Since you are a slave, you can be restrained.
- Depending on how you are restrained, various actions will be more difficult or impossible.
- This is moderately well implemented right now, but there may be some aspects that still don’t make sense.
The main meat of the content is driven by a new class called prisonTrainer.
- When you are captured, an object of this class is loaded into the prisonCaptor variable. The default values for the class properties define the “basic” prison experience; these can be overridden piecemeal or wholesale in order to create new stories and player experiences quickly and easily by taking advantage of the core prison framework.
- Or in less technical terms, I’ve designed this system to be easily extended. I’ve written some content to demonstrate what the prison framework can do, but it is a framework that could be used to implement other scenarios where the player is imprisoned by an NPC.
SPOILERS: Here are some things to be sure to see in the “basic” prison experience (ie, the default loaded prisonTrainer) currently implemented in this demo:
- Your captor, an omnibus named Elly, gives you a nice little speech when you are caught (with a fun variation when you are re-captured).
- Periodically she will visit you and offer you a chance to earn a good meal. Perform well, and you get nice food. Half ass it, and you get, well, food. Of a sort. Refuse and you will be punished in various ways. As your obedience increases, she will “train” you to do more and more heinous things without even thinking about it, and you will then be given a choice of whether to do an even more debasing thing.
- There are currently two “light” punishments (increased restraints and gettin’ boned), and three “heavy” punishments that are randomly selected from when you refuse to do as you are told. Definitely try to see all the heavy punishments, since there are some very cool ideas in there (if I don’t say so myself).
- As time passes, a few fun things can happen randomly: Elly may ask you to keep your cell clean (punishments if you don’t!), a randomly selected guard may decide to come in and abuse you (you can try to fight back if you aren’t restrained), a kindly imp janitor might visit you, or you might hear a neighbor getting punished in a nearby cell.
- If you just wait around at full lust while you are too restrained to masturbate (waiting may be your only option in such a state — that will teach to behave, eh?), Elly may visit you and give you a very interesting toy, or just offer to fuck you if you beg her to.
- Once every 30 hours or so Elly will lighten your restraints a bit. Isn’t she nice?
Again, a LOT of the text in all these events is still placeholder, it’s light on references to the player’s physique, and none of it takes into account crazy body types (centaur, naga, etc). What’s more, very little balancing has been done for stat changes, and a lot of events should probably be changing other stats as well. My goal in both of these areas was to put in enough work to hopefully get the idea across and be fun, while also not getting bogged down on any one component so that the proof of concept could be as broad as possible.
In any case, hope you enjoy!